Although many people think that orthodontics are only for teenagers and children, in fact 20% of patients receiving orthodontic treatments are adults! Nobody is ever too old to benefit from orthodontic treatment.
Many adults today are seeking orthodontic treatment to correct issues which they may have had since childhood. Others received treatment during their teenage years, but due to limitations with their original treatment or relapse they require more treatment as an adult. We’re proud to provide many adults in the Boca Raton area with their best smiles.
What Are The Advantages Of Adults Having Orthodontic Treatment?
There are several advantages for adults who have orthodontic treatment. These include:
- Alignment of the teeth for a more beautiful and aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Correction of relapse following original orthodontic treatment because of failure to wear a retainer in the long-term.
- Improvement of flossing and brushes, particularly in the case of overlapping or crowded front lower teeth.
- Improved comfort of bite and improvement in chewing ability.
- Addressing any missing teeth and closing existing gaps between teeth.
- Reducing wear and tear on teeth because of a poor bite or grinding.
- Surgery to the jaw to address a discrepancy between the lower and upper jaws.
Aren’t Braces Ugly?
A lot of adults are put off getting braces because they are worried about their appearance. However, adults can often benefit from Invisalign treatment. These invisible braces alternatives use the latest technology to produce removable clear aligners which are made with 3D imaging in order to align teeth.
What About Pain And Discomfort?
Adults experience no more discomfort or pain from orthodontic treatment than children. Usually, most discomfort is experienced within the first 12 to 24 hours following adjustment, but that discomfort disappears within around 3-5 days. Today’s appliances are much smaller and therefore more comfortable than old-fashioned braces.
Also, the latest techniques use titanium technology to reduce the pressure on teeth which causes discomfort. Despite this, these advances techniques move the teeth even more efficiently and rapidly, decreasing the amount of time between each adjustment to around every 8 to 10 weeks. Usually, treatment will be completed with 15 to 18 months.
How Much Do Adult Orthodontics Cost?
The cost of orthodontic treatment for adults will be determined in exactly the same manner as adolescent’s or children’s treatment. The fee will be based on how severe the issue is, how complex the correction process will be, which appliances will be used and how long the problem will take to correct. In order to give you the most accurate estimate, we invite you to schedule a free smile exam.